What You Need:
- Large plastic garden shovel, available at toy or dollar shop
- Waterproof decorations: artificial flowers, ribbons, stickers, small garden toys, shells, pebbles, pine cones, or other items from outdoors
- Wooden or foam rectangle sign
- Acrylic paints and paintbrushes or sharpie permanent markers
- Hot glue gun
What You Do:
- Have your child collect items from outdoors for some decor, such as shells, pebbles, pine cones, or twigs.
- Have her use sharpies or acrylic paints and paintbrushes to decorate a sign for the shovel. It could say “Mom’s Garden” or anything your child would like to write for a Mother’s Day gift!
- Help your child put hot glue in the middle of the back of the wood or foam sign and press it down somewhere below the shovel’s handle. Let the glue dry before the next step.
- Have your child bring out her nature collection from step 1. She can place decorations where she’d like them, and an adult can help her hot glue or tie the decorations to the plastic shovel. Ribbon can be used to tie on items, for example around the shovel’s handle.
- Leave the tip of the shovel’s bottom free of decor; this will be placed into dirt to hold the shovel upright.
Let your child place the shovel standing up in dirt in mom’s garden as a surprise for mom! Or give the gift to mom and let her place it in the garden. Either way, this lovely handmade decoration will light up mom’s garden and her special day.