What You Need:
- Ribbon in at least two different colors
- Cardboard or thick paper
- Craft stick
What You Do:
- Decide on ribbon colors, desired pattern, and shape of the weave. For beginners or inexperienced artists it may be helpful to start simple. For example, try using a piece of plain rectangle-shaped paper as a base for the weave.
- Cut the ribbon to fit the paper being used.
- Ask your child to choose a pattern based on the colors of ribbon. Have him place a line of glue down the left side of the cardboard or paper. Lay a piece of ribbon down horizontally on the paper with the left edge on the glue. Leave the top row empty (i.e., there should be a blank space of paper for approximately one horizontal ribbon length across the top of the page). Gently press the left edge into the glue to make it stick.
- Add another ribbon, parallel to the first one, below it. Continue until you reach the bottom of the paper or cardboard. It is not necessary for each ribbon to be pressed up against the next. Leave a small space in between. This will help when weaving.
- Place a second line of glue on the paper. This should be at the top of the paper in the empty horizontal space.
- Have your child lay the remaining ribbon in vertical rows starting at the top of the paper. Gently press the tops of each piece of ribbon into the glue.
- When the glue is dry, have your child begin weaving the ribbon. Starting at the top left of the paper, he can thread the top horizontal ribbon under the first vertical ribbon, over the second, and so on.
- Once finished, place a small amount of glue on the craft stick. Reach the craft stick (gently) under the ribbon pattern weave and spread on the paper base. Remove the craft stick and gently press the weave down. The edges can be glued simply by creating lines of glue directly onto the paper.
As your child becomes more proficient with this activity, make it more challenging for him. Encourage him to create more intricate patterns, design a holiday theme using special colors, or use a different base.