What You Need:
- Soda cans
- Ribbon (or jewelry chain)
- Measuring tape
- Dish soap
- Optional: paint
What You Do:
- Help your child yank the pop tabs off the soda cans. She'll want at least six of these pop tabs.
- Let her use water and a small amount of dish soap to clean each pop tab.
- Show her how to use the sandpaper to smooth any rough edges on the pop tabs. She won't want any part ofher new jewelry poking her while she's wearing it!
- Does your child want to make a bracelet or a necklace? Help her use the measure tape to figure out how long she'll want to make her piece of jewelry.
- Have her use scissors to cut her ribbon to at least twice the desired length of her jewelry. (It needs to be significantly longer so that she'll have room to weave it in and out of the pop tabs.
- Help her weave her pop tabs together with the length of ribbon. Make sure she leaves some ribbon on both ends of the chain.
- When she's done, let her tie the ends together to form a bow.
- Have her put on the necklace or bracelet to flaunt her trendy, earth-friendly fashion!
She can also make earrings to go with her necklace or bracelet! Simply have her attach the soda pop tabs to a couple of ear wires and jump rings -- available at any local craft store.