Let’s Compare! Place Value Disks & Three-Digit Numbers
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Comparing Values pre-lesson.
Students will be able to use their understanding of place value to compare numbers.
- Write the number 134 on the board. Ask, “What number is this? How do you know?”
- Show students how 134 means one hundred, three tens, and four ones.
- Bring out place value disks and show how to represent 134 with the disks.
- Practice using place value disks prior to the lesson.
- Instruct students to read the number aloud in English and their home language (L1).
- Have students turn and talk to a partner, sharing out the value of the number.
- Elicit deeper thinking by providing sentence frames for students to use, such as:
- I know this number is ________ because there are ________ ones, ________ tens, and ________ hundreds.