Paul Revere's Ride
Students will learn about Paul Revere's midnight ride.
Introduction (7 minutes)
- Ask students what they already know about Paul Revere's ride.
- Review Paul Revere's midnight ride using facts the class brought up as well as other facts you find important.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (25 minutes)
- Read the poem Paul Revere's Ride on the document camera.
- Write in the margins as you read through the poem, marking important phrases or unusual words.
- Define new vocabulary words and summarize phrases in the margins.
- Instruct students to copy your notes and to mark up their own page.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Hand out the graphic novel.
- Display the graphic novel on the document camera.
- Fill in as much of the graphic novel as you feel is necessary for your class to understand how to do it.
- Demonstrate how to use the poem to help fill in the blanks.
Independent Working Time (30 minutes)
- Allow students to work independently or with partners on the graphic novel.
- Hand out any additional information about the midnight ride you may have.
- Enrichment: Have students write their own midnight ride poem.
- Support: Fill in some of the speech bubbles to help guide students.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Work with students and support struggling students.
- Collect graphic organizers to check for correctness.
Review and Closing (3 minutes)
- Share example results on the document camera.