Picture Book Pacing
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Reading Fluently pre-lesson.
Students will be able to accurately read aloud from a chosen picture book.
- Tell the students that today, they are going to be spending their time reading picture books.
- Explain that they will each take a picture book and be given a few minutes to practice reading it out loud before being recorded reading the book aloud.
- Ask students to think about what a good read aloud includes. Allow them to share ideas in their home language (L1).
- Provide a word bank for students to choose traits that describe a good read aloud.*
- Ask students to think about what a good read aloud includes. (expression, not too fast or slow, not too quiet or loud, smooth reading, etc.)
- Give them a sentence stem to use as they share their answer: A good read aloud has ________________.