Picture Book Pacing
Students will be able to accurately read aloud from a chosen picture book.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell the students that today, they are going to be spending their time reading picture books.
- Explain that they will each take a picture book and be given a few minutes to practice reading it out loud before being recorded reading the book aloud.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Choose a picture book and read it aloud to them.
- Go over the self assessment and rubric, letting them know that you expect honesty from them.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Ask students to quietly practice reading their books aloud to themselves or with a partner.
Independent Working Time (45 minutes)
- Begin calling students up one at a time to make their audio recordings.
- Your aid should be positioned at the opposite end of the room or in a quiet part of the hallway calling students out as well. (Each reading will take approximately 5 minutes)
- After each student has been recorded, hand them the self-assessment rubric. This is to be turned in immediately upon completion.
- Enrichment: Students considered to be advanced verbal readers can be recorded on a video, reading the books and showing the illustrations. Advanced students may be allowed to read a more complex book for their recording.
- Support: Students in need of support may be allowed one re-record. Students in need of support may be given a slightly lower level book to read aloud. Students in need of extra support may be given a different task to complete for their grade.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Ask students to complete their self-assessment rubrics and turn them in.
- Students will also be assessed with your rubric.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Ask students how they felt about their reading skills. Let them know that it is okay not feel like they did a great job; even teachers stumble over words sometimes!
- Finally, ask students to go home and read out loud to someone, whether it be their siblings, dolls, parents, or pets.