Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Environmental Science
Design a livable building without electricity.
The goals of this project are:
- To design an electricity-free home.
- To build a scale model of the design.
- How do people heat and light their homes without electricity?
- How do you use washing machines and computers in homes without electricity?
- What do people do for entertainment in electricity-free homes?
- How do people cook or refrigerate food in electricity-free homes?
The electric power bill may be expensive, but we can't live without electricity. Or can we? This project calls for you to design a comfortable, fully functional electricity-free home.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Carefully study the related literature (see bibliography below).
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Take interesting photos throughout the course of the experiment.
- Design a livable home without electricity. Consider necessities, comforts and entertainment.
- Build a scale model of your design.
- Explain and illustrate your design in a detailed report.
- Include graphics, charts, diagrams and models in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Alternative energy sources; Eco-Village; Solar paneling
- http://www.ehow.com/how_4444103_heat-light-house-electricity.html (Alternative energy sources)
- http://www.watersheds.org/education/gstudent.htm (An award-winning high school essay on living without electricity)
- http://small-scale.net/yearofmud/2009/08/25/life-in-a-cob-house-without-electricity/ (descriptive story of an electricity-free home)
- http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/evangelista73.html (How to live without electricity)
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!