Grade Level: 6th to 8th; Type: Social Science
This experiment will evaluate if the phases of the moon impact the way people feel.
- Does the phase of the moon have any effect on mood?
- Are people more likely to be stressed, anxious or short-tempered during a full moon?
- Are people more likely to be calm and relaxed during a new moon?
- Is one gender more likely to be influenced by the moon’s phases?
Is there a certain age group that is more susceptible to the moon’s influence on mood? It has long been believed that the moon holds power over our daily lives. Some people think that the new moon creates calmness while a full moon can enhance feelings of stress and frustration. In this experiment, the emotional disposition of many test subjects will be evaluated over one lunar phase cycle to see if the moon can really impact mood.
- References describing the different phases of the moon and possible effects on mood.
- Calendar (or another resource) that includes the date of each upcoming moon phase
- Approximately 20 test subjects
- Notebook for analyzing results
- Create a survey to give your test subjects that analyzes their current state of mind. Example questions could include: Rate your current level of stress on a scale of 1 to 10. How many fights/disagreements have you had in the past week? How many times have you honked your horn while driving in your car this week? On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with your life? How many good things have happened to you this week?
- Ask many test subjects to take your survey. Include males and females in many different age groups.
- Ask the same test subjects to repeat the survey four times in one month. The survey should be taken on the day of the current month that corresponds to the new moon, first quarter, full moon and last quarter.
- Analyze the surveys taken by each test subject. Do you observe any patterns in your test subjects’ response to each survey? Are responses altered dramatically during certain parts of the month, or do you observe a shift in answers that is more subtle? Are there certain groups of people that seem to be more influenced by the moon?
Terms/Concepts: Phases of the moon; What affects mood?
Disclaimer and Safety Precautions
Education.com provides the Science Fair Project Ideas for informational
purposes only. Education.com does not make any guarantee or representation
regarding the Science Fair Project Ideas and is not responsible or liable for
any loss or damage, directly or indirectly, caused by your use of such
information. By accessing the Science Fair Project Ideas, you waive and
renounce any claims against Education.com that arise thereof. In addition, your
access to Education.com's website and Science Fair Project Ideas is covered by
on Education.com's liability.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all
individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea
should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental
or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all
materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For
further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.