Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Computer Science
Discover a new use for the standard spreadsheet format.
The goals of this project are:
- To demonstrate existing spreadsheet functions.
- To discover a new way to utilize spreadsheets.
- What are the capabilities of a spreadsheet?
- What are the ways in which a spreadsheet can be used?
A spreadsheet is a computer platform displaying cells that make up a grid of rows and columns. It's like a paper accounting worksheet with a built in editor, filing system and calculator. Common uses for spreadsheets are financial management and list making. Other applications include maps, artwork and crossword puzzles. This project challenges you to devise a new or improved spreadsheet application.
- Computer with internet
- Color printer
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Typical home office software with a spreadsheet program.
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below and terms listed above)
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Analyze a basic spreadsheet program to familiarize yourself with all of its capabilities.
- List the ways in which spreadsheets are currently used.
- Invent a new way to use spreadsheets.
- Create examples that illustrate your idea.
- Interpret your findings in a detailed report.
- Include photos, diagrams and demonstrations in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Formula spreadsheet; Logical spreadsheet; Microsoft Excel; Web based spreadsheets
Disclaimer and Safety Precautions
Education.com provides the Science Fair Project Ideas for informational
purposes only. Education.com does not make any guarantee or representation
regarding the Science Fair Project Ideas and is not responsible or liable for
any loss or damage, directly or indirectly, caused by your use of such
information. By accessing the Science Fair Project Ideas, you waive and
renounce any claims against Education.com that arise thereof. In addition, your
access to Education.com's website and Science Fair Project Ideas is covered by
on Education.com's liability.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all
individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea
should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental
or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all
materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For
further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.