Science Project:

Too Much Sodium?

4.5 based on 4 ratings

Problem:

How salty do people prefer their food?

Materials

  • Bread
  • Three sticks of unsalted butter
  • Table salt
  • Toaster
  • Butter knife
  • Measuring spoons
  • Three small mixing bowls
  • Three stirring spoons
  • Notebook and pen

Procedure

  1. Set your three sticks of unsalted butter on the counter until they are room temperature. This may take a couple of hours.
  2. Place one stick of butter in each of the three small mixing bowls.
  3. Add no salt to the first bowl, ½ teaspoon of salt to the second and a full teaspoon of salt to the third. Stir the two bowls with added salt, mixing thoroughly.
  4. Gather five people willing to participate in your experiment.
  5. Toast a slice of bread for each subject. Slice the bread lengthwise into three strips. Add butter from each dish to one strip of the toast. Be sure to keep your toast strips in order, so you know which is which, but do not tell the participant how salty the butter is.
  6. Which butter type do you think the participant will enjoy the most? Why? Use this time to write down your hypothesis, your best guess about what you think is going to happen.
  7. Give each of your participants their toast pieces. Ask your participants to report which piece of toast they liked best. Record your results, and compare them to your hypothesis.
  8. If you want, you can test more participants to observe if people from the same family have similar butter preferences.

Results

35% of women and 15% of men are supertasters, so only one or two people from your study should have preferred the saltiest butter.

Why?

25% of people overall are supertasters and are very sensitive to bitterness and sweetness. That’s why they tend to prefer more salt—the salty flavor can help mask those flavors that they’re sensitive to. Another 25% of people are not overly sensitive to any particular flavor at all. The other 50% of people have taste profiles that fall somewhere in the middle.

How much of your daily recommended intake of sodium is in a teaspoon of salt? Do you think supertasters are at a greater risk of eating too much sodium? It might be fun to find out how much of each type of butter it would hypothetically take to reach 100% of your daily recommended sodium intake!

Author: Lori Soard
Disclaimer and Safety Precautions

Education.com provides the Science Fair Project Ideas for informational purposes only. Education.com does not make any guarantee or representation regarding the Science Fair Project Ideas and is not responsible or liable for any loss or damage, directly or indirectly, caused by your use of such information. By accessing the Science Fair Project Ideas, you waive and renounce any claims against Education.com that arise thereof. In addition, your access to Education.com's website and Science Fair Project Ideas is covered by Education.com's Privacy Policy and site Terms of Use, which include limitations on Education.com's liability.

Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely