Your child can turn chopsticks into fun hair sticks with a couple of simple materials! Chopsticks are an important part of Asian culture, used for eating most meals! But, not only are chopsticks functional, they can be turned into a colorful hair decoration!
What You Need:
- Set of chopsticks
- Craft wire
What You Do:
- Start by picking up an extra set of chopsticks the next time your family is enjoying sushi or take-out to use for making hair sticks.
- Invite your child to look at examples of decorated chopsticks online and research how chopsticks are made. Chopsticks are often made of wood and are tapered at one end.
- Now your child can select a color of paint for covering her chopsticks. Encourage her to place a sheet of paper over her work area and begin painting each chopstick in any color or pattern she likes.
- Once the chopsticks are dry, she can pick colorful beads to use for decorating the end of her chopsticks. Invite her to wrap the end of the chopstick with craft wire, leaving about two inches to string the beads.
- Now she can begin threading the beads on the end of the wire and when finished, secure the beads by bending and wrapping the wire.
- Now your child can twist her hair up and secure with both the chopsticks!
Did you know: The first chopsticks are thought to have originated over 5000 years ago! They were first fashioned to help grab hot items from the fire and have evolved to the smaller eating utensils we know today!