Finally—here's a way to forgo the messiness of a bird feeder! Your child can give his favorite winged neighbors a savory holiday snack with these easy-to-make "cookies"! Some leftover bread, peanut butter, and birdseed are all it takes. As an extra bonus, your child's motor skills and dexterity will be given a boost as he concocts these tasty treats for birds.
What You Do:
- Have your child pick out his favorite holiday cookie cutters. He should cut festive shapes out of the bread, leaving the crust aside.
- Ask your child to use a straw to make a hole in the top of each shape.
- Invite him to tie a piece of yarn or twist-tie through each hole.
- Spread each piece of bread thickly with peanut butter or shortening.
- Ask your child to sprinkle birdseed liberally over each bird cookie. Have him press his hand on top of each one to make sure it adheres to the peanut butter or shortening.
- Hang the bird cookie from an outdoor tree or bush. Your child will be delighted when the birds flock to your home for a hearty holiday feast!
Invite your child to make these treats the night before a gift exchange! He will have a perfect gift for friends or family who enjoy bird companions around their home.