Homemade Valentine's Gift
Does your child need a Valentine's Day surprise for a parent or grandparent? This project is the perfect thoughtful—and homemade–gift for that very special person; it holds a sweet, personal message for the recipient to discover. Additionally, your first grader will strengthen her fine motor skills and handwriting ability!
What You Need:
- Red and pink paper
- 1 brass fastener (found at craft or office supply stores)
What You Do:
- Help your child cut out five or more hearts of various sizes, from the two different colors of paper. Each heart should be large enough for your child to write on properly.
- Stack them on top of each other in size order, with the largest on top.
- Ask your child to arrange the hearts so that all the pointed tips are together; place a brass fastener through them to keep them in place.
- Have your child position the hearts around the fastener so that each heart is clearly visible.
- He can then write a message onto each heart, so that the recipient can slide each "layer of love" aside to read the message beneath it. Some message ideas:
- Continuous sentence, with a couple of words on each heart
- Top 5 reasons the recipient is wonderful
- Traditional Valentine's Day words (such as love, heart, sweet, etc.)
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.