Whether it's President's Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, or just a great day to feel patriotic, this flag craft is the perfect way to proudly display your child's love of the red, white and blue. The miniature nature of this project invites endless possibilities -- use it as anything from a cupcake decoration to a backpack ornament!
What You Need:
- Craft stick
- Red pipe cleaners
- White pipe cleaner
- Blue pipe cleaner
- Hot glue gun
- Glue stick
What You Do:
- Help your child fold the blue pipe cleaner into a small rectangle. This rectangle will be the base of her flag.
- Have her use scissors to cut the red pipe cleaners into four strips that are over twice as long as her blue rectangle. Make sure each strip is the same length.
- Let her cut four more strips from the white pipe cleaner. When she's done, she should have eight red and white pipe cleaner strips.
- Use the hot glue gun to place a narrow line of glue along the top edge of the craft stick.
- Have her press the edge of one of her red pipe cleaners into the glue at the very top of the craft stick. The pipe cleaner should be pointing to the right of the stick.
- Let her place the rest of her pipe cleaners in this same manner, alternating red and white. Make sure the pipe cleaners are even.
- Once she's finished the red and white part of her flag, she'll need to add the blue! Place a small puddle of glue in the top left corner of the red and white rectangle.
- Have your child press her blue pipe cleaner rectangle into the puddle.
- Set aside the entire flag craft to dry. When it's ready, she can proudly display her flag wherever she likes.