This dreidel craft gets your child to make the spinning top out of a milk carton. Playing the dreidel game and eating lots of gelt is one of the best parts about the Hanukkah celebration. Add some fun this year by spending time with your family making your own dreidel craft. This upcycled dreidel craft helps your child create a simple and unique toy that can be used for eight days and longer.
What You Need:
- Small milk carton
- Gelt (optional) You can also use any kind of candy or small toys.
What You Do:
- Wash and clean the milk carton and dry it off completely on the inside and outside.
- Re-seal the top so that it forms a box shape. You can use glue to seal it tightly.
- Time to decorate. Make sure you know your Hebrew letters! Have each child paint the sides of the carton any way they wish. Feel free to use the colors closely associated with Hanukkah: blue, silver, and white.
- When the paint dries, use a marker, or more paint, to carefully write the Hebrew letters (Nun, Gimel, Hay, and Shin), one on each side of the carton, with the sealed side down.
- Then carefully poke a sharpened pencil from the bottom of the carton through to the other side, and your homemade dreidel is ready to play. (When the pencil comes through the side that’s been glued, you may need to re-seal the edges again.)