How to Make a Dreidel
As the song goes, your child can make his own dreidel out of clay, and modeling clay works best! It dries quickly, is quite tidy, and can easily be decorated with marking pens.
Invite your child’s friends over for the afternoon during one of the days of Hanukkah to make this traditional game. It’s a perfect opportunity for your child to discuss and share some of his family traditions with children who may have other celebratory holiday traditions. Be sure to teach them both the Dreidel Song as they do this project together!
What You Need:
- White modeling clay
- Blunt butter knife (can be plastic)
- Short pencil or piece of dowel about 2 inches long
- Blue marking pen
What You Do:
- Have your child form a piece of modeling clay into a 1 1/2-cube, approximately. It may be easiest for your child to use a butter knife to cut the sides nice and flat.
- Ask your child take the small pencil or piece of dowel and stick it about halfway down the cube. Make sure it is as centered as possible so the dreidel spins evenly.
- Now your child is going to be creating the pointed end of the dreidel. Have him take another piece of clay, form it into a cone shape, and attach it to the bottom of the cube. Do your best to make sure it is firmly attached so it will stay together as it dries.
- Once the clay has dried, use your blue marker to make the Hebrew letters N, G, H, and S (see photo). Let it dry and your child is ready to play!
Traditionally, no work is to be done while the Hanukkah candles are lit so playing Dreidel is a nice way to spend time with friends and family. Just decide on the number of rounds you will play before you begin or you will be playing long into the night!
Players take turns spinning the dreidel and collecting or giving game pieces (you can use pennies or candies; chocolate coins work great!). If a player spins an N they take nothing, G they take the pot, H they take half the pot, and S they add to the pot.
The player with the most at the end of the number of rounds agreed upon is the winner.