How to Make a Mustache on a Stick
Learn how to make a mustache with these simple instructions. This handmade craft makes an excellent disguise or costume piece, and it's also a great way to convey that you are a dastardly, dapper, daring character during play time. Read on to learn how to make a mustache on a stick for Halloween, costume parties, or dress up.
What You Need:
- Black, brown, red, and/or yellow felt pieces and/or construction paper
- Hot glue
- Wood chopsticks
- Internet access
- Paper and pencil
What You Do:
- First, have her begin thinking about different styles of mustaches. Several famous people and characters have worn distinctive mustache styles over the years. Have her name a few to get started – there’s Groucho Marx, Charlie Chaplin, Salvador Dali, Yosemite Sam and more. Look up photos online for inspiration.
- Have your child choose a shape for her mustache, either based on a person's or on one she’s dreamed up herself. Once she's decided, she can choose a color of felt or construction paper to make her mustache disguise. She can match her own hair color or choose a color that’s completely different!
- Next, have her draw a template. If she’s copying a traditional style, she can print out a picture of the mustache and trace around it, or she can draw it freehand onto a piece of construction paper.
- Have her cut the same template shape out of felt material or construction paper.
- Use the hot glue, to glue one end of the back of the mustache to a wood chopstick. Repeat this step for each mustache she created with another wood chopstick.
- After the glue has dried she can lift the mustache (using the stick holder) to above her lip. Do you still recognize her? She may want to play a spy game with her new disguise!
- You can even add accessories to create more distinct personas: place the mustache closer to the middle of the chopstick and add a small circle at eye-level. Voila — a mustache and monocle fit for railroad baron or real estate tycoon!