Make a Glittering String Ball
Turn a winter afternoon indoors into a fun and sparkling good time by making a glitter string ball! Your child will jump at the chance to get messy (under adult supervision, of course) and create some unique home decor that really shines!
What You Need:
- 9-inch balloons
What You Do:
- Invite your child to blow up a 9-inch balloon until it is a least 4 inches in circumferences. She can measure the circumference by cutting a length of string that fits around the center of the balloon and then measure its length along a ruler.
- Have her mix together ¼ cup glue with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl.
- Using scissors and any color string she’d like, have your child cut several long lengths of string, about 4 to 5 feet.
- It’s time to get messy! Have her dip the string in the glue mixture, making sure each piece is coated thoroughly.
- With the balloon on a sheet of wax paper, have her wrap the balloon in the coated pieces of string. Encourage her to keep pressing the sticky string all around her balloon until it is almost completely covered.
- Let the balloon dry overnight, then pop the balloon the next day. Have her peel away the balloon from the inside of the string, or carefully use a scissors to cut the balloon into small pieces, and then remove.
- Invite your child to gently cover the outside of her string ball with more of the glue mixture, using a paintbrush to apply it.
- Sprinkle some glitter on a sheet of paper and have your child roll the string ball over it until the entire ball sparkles!
- Hang the finished glitter ball in a window and enjoy the colorful dots of light it shines!