Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Your child can learn all about the barbecue business by making her own barbecue sauce! She can concoct her own special sauce as well as create a packaging design to promote her condiment! And, with May being National Barbecue Month, it’s a great motivator to get in the kitchen and concoct some of this popular sweet, spicy, and tangy stuff!
What You Need:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs
- Hot sauce
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Medium saucepan
- Glass jar with lid
What You Do:
- Invite your child to gather the ingredients to create her own barbeque sauce.
- First, have her measure all the ingredients and mix them in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Set the stove to low heat and slowly simmer the ingredients for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with the spatula.
- Encourage your child to taste test and then adjust the sauce to her liking, making sure she keeps notes on any changes to the ingredients. If she’d like her sauce to be spicier, she can add hot sauce, or if she’d like a tangier sauce, she can sprinkle in some more apple cider vinegar. This is how famous barbecue sauces get their signature tastes!
- Now she can simmer the ingredients for another 10 to 15 minutes and then give her barbeque sauce another taste. If she’s satisfied with her concoction, she can let it cool before placing in her glass jar.
- While her sauce is cooling, invite your child to get out a sheet of paper and pencil to create a logo for her homemade barbeque sauce. She can include her name in the graphic, or highlight one of the ingredients.
- Offer her a set of markers to finish her design, using colors she thinks best represents her brand. Once she’s finished, she can cut out the logo and tape it to the side of her glass jar.
- Now she can pour the cooled barbeque sauce in her jar and then in the fridge to enjoy the next time the family wants to barbeque something tasty on the grill!