Fun Dessert for Kids
There's something irresistible about mice! Consider these famous friends that are near and dear to our hearts: Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Jerry of Tom and Jerry, Stuart Little, and Despereaux. Add a new star-quality mouse to this lineup with your child's very own creation! Encourage him to use his imagination to create his very own edible ice cream mouse that will charm the whole family at dessert time. This appetizing activity will give you an opportunity to reinforce the parts of the face and share a few fun facts about these furry rodents with your youngster.
What You Need:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Ice cream scoop
- Chilled bowl
- Two vanilla wafer cookies or sandwich cookies
- Jelly beans (one red, two black)
- Two brown M&Ms (Skittles or jelly beans can be used instead)
What You Do:
- Help your child put a rounded scoop of ice cream into a chilled bowl.
- As you help your child create a face, ask him to name each part. Start a discussion by asking questions such as, “How many eyes does a mouse have?” or “What color nose should the mouse have?”
- Have your child carefully place two cookies into the top of the ice cream to create ears.
- Encourage your child to add a red jelly bean for the nose, two black jelly beans for the eyes, and chocolate sprinkles for the whiskers.
Did You Know?
Did you know that a female mouse is called a “doe” and a male mouse is called a “buck?” A baby mouse is called a “pinky” or “kitten.” Mice have tails that are as long as their body!