Turn Thick Ribbon into Cute Curtains
Help your child turn her favorite thick, beautiful ribbon into cute and crafty curtains! She can make a set of fun, wavy blinds or a wall hanging to add some flair to her room. A desire to innovate and close attention to detail comes in handy with this project, but it's simple to make. And the best part: There's no sewing necessary! So, go ahead: Encourage her to make something that she can use, hang up, and be proud of!
What You Need:
- Thick ribbon in several colors or patterns
- Measuring tape
- Fabric glue or needle and thread
- Thumb tacks
What You Do:
- Have your child take the measurements of the width and height of the area she wants the curtain to cover.
- Now, she can precisely measure out a length of ribbon to serve as the “rod” of the curtain. It should be slightly larger than the width of the window.
- She needs to measure and cut out ribbon to correspond to the height of the window. Make sure the ribbon strips are slightly longer than the actual height of the window.
- She will hang strips of ribbon vertically from the rod of the curtain, laying each piece side by side to form a solid curtain. Therefore, the strips will not only need to be long enough to cover the window vertically, but she will need to figure out how many pieces she needs to cut out. This can be done by measuring the width of the ribbon and comparing it to the width of the entire window.
- When all the pieces of the curtain are cut out, it is time for her to glue together her creation. She can do this by laying the “rod” out flat and gluing the vertical pieces at the tip, side by side onto the rod strip. Let dry.
- Have her take the curtain and hang it in place to cover the window. Use the thumb tacks to secure it in place.
- She may choose to cut out an extra length of ribbon to use to tie back the curtain at times when she desires light to come through. It is important that she has fun with the decoration; she can even make it to match her room!
An alternative method to gluing this project together is to use a needle and thread to sew it together. She might also choose to sew the vertical pieces together to make a solid curtain.