Healthy Snack for Kids
Is it a constant struggle to get your preschooler to eat healthy snacks? Join the club. While you may be thinking about which foods are most nutritious, your preschooler is likely thinking about which foods are the most fun to eat (or contain the most sugar). Rather than making snacktime into a power struggle, work with your child's sense of fun by making this interesting snack. No preschooler can resist eating a handmade smiley face!
What You Need:
- 2 grape tomatoes
- Red pepper
- Napkin or plate
- 2 rice cakes
- 2 raisins
- Grated carrot
What You Do:
- Cut a couple grape tomatoes in half lengthwise. Cut the red pepper into strips.
- Set out two napkins or plates to hold the rice cake smileys, and place a rice cake in the center of each one. One smiley will be for you, and one will be for your preschooler.
- Spread hummus on your rice cake with a blunt knife, and let your preschooler do the same with her own. Think that your child won't be able to do it? After some practice (it's great for her hand coordination!) she'll be able to cover most of the rice cake with hummus using a butter knife.
- Model how to place the two grape tomato halves towards the top of the rice cake as eyes, the raisin in the center as a nose, and the red pepper at the bottom as a mouth. It may take your child several times to successfully create the smiley.
- Sprinkle some grated carrot over the top of the smiley as hair, and encourage your child to do the same.
- Eat your creations together. If you'd like, you can make the snack even more fun by pretending to be the smiley. Say things like, “Oh no! You're eating my mouth! I can't talk anymmmph…”