Learn to Spell with Scrambled Letters
If your child enjoys word puzzles, this activity is for you! In this homemade game, similar to the popular game "Boggle," you will compete against other family members to see how many words you can make from 8 scrambled letter cards. This game encourages spelling skills, improves vocabulary, and is a great game to play on family game night!
What You Need:
- 31 small pieces of paper that are the same size
- Small box
- Paper and pencil for each player
What to Do:
- Help your child write each letter of the alphabet on each piece of paper, and make an extra set of vowels.
- Put all the letters into a small box and let your child mix them up.
- Then, explain the rules of the game. 8 cards will be drawn from the box and laid facedown.
- Once the cards are turned over, a timer will be set for three minutes.
- In those three minutes, each player will write down as many words as they can spell using the 8 scrambled letters. Each correctly spelled word gets one point, and the person with the most points wins!
- Now you're ready to play! Pick someone from the group to draw eight cards out and lay them facedown.Then turn the cards over, start the timer, and let the games begin!
- When the three minutes are up, have each person read through their list and award points for each correctly spelled word.
- Play the game for two (or more!) rounds and see who ends up with the most points! Note: If your child is a struggling speller, you may want to work in teams for the first few rounds.