Star of David Cookies
One of the most symbolic images in the Jewish faith is, of course, the Star of David. This blue pentagram was created to honor the warrior David who would later become King. The Star of David represents the seven angels before Mezuzah, with its six points and one center.
Help your child bring this symbol to life, and in an incredibly tasty form! With a little work in the kitchen your child can whip up these delicious cookies as she practices measuring, pouring, and stirring. The real fun begins when the icing makes an appearance, though! Your little one will use the tasty blue "paint" on his Stars of David and then share the frosted goodness with friends and family!
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of vanilla food coloring (blue)
- 3 bowls
- Cookie sheet
- Flour (to dust surface with)
- Rolling pin
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cookie cutter in shape of Star of David
- Butter knives and toothpicks to frost cookies
What You Do:
- Aid your child in measuring out a cup of flour and putting it into the bowl. Invite him to then measure out the sugar and vanilla extract, and add those to the bowl.
- Now, for the rest of the ingredients. Have your child add in the butter, and then ask him to crack an egg. Show him how to separate the yolk from the white. Add the yolk to the bowl, and keep the egg white in a separate cup.
- With all of the cookie ingredients in the bowl, your child can use a mixer to blend them up until the batter is smooth and without lumps.
- Help your child roll out the dough on a floured surface and use the circular sugar cookie cutter to cut the cookies and put them onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Ask your child to beat the egg white that was left in the cup, and aid him in dipping a fork into the egg white and then using a fork to press down the sugar cookies.
- After the oven has had time to preheat to 350° F, insert the cookie tray and let the cookies bake between eight and ten minutes.
- Help your child make the frosting by measuring out the powdered sugar, milk, and adding them to a bowl. Ask your child to stir the mixture until it is smooth, and divide the frosting by putting about one third of it into a second bowl. You will then oversee your child as they add the drops of blue food coloring to the smaller amount and stirring it up to make the blue frosting.
- When the cookies are done baking and have had time to cool, help your child festively decorate them! Using some butter knives, encourage your child to paint on a white background layer to the cookies. He can use either the opposite end of the knife or toothpicks to paint on the Stars of David with blue frosting.
After you have decorated all the cookies, all that is left is to enjoy the delicious Hanukkah creations! Dig in!