What You Need:
- Cardboard toilet paper roll
- Colored paper
- Glue stick
- Dry pasta, beans or rice
What You Do:
- Set the toilet paper roll on the colored paper.
- Carefully use a pencil to draw the dimensions of the roll on paper. It's okay if the paper is longer than the roll—you'll just glue over it.
- Let your child cut out the colored paper along your penciled lines.
- Glue the colored paper on the toilet paper roll.
- Encourage your child to draw and cut out fun shapes, designs, and fringes from other sheets of colored paper.
- Have her glue her decorative pieces on the roll.
- Help your child make "caps" for her homemade maraca out of the colored paper. The caps should be slightly larger than the paper roll openings.
- Put a small amount of glue around one end of the paper roll.
- Place one cap gently over the glued end.
- Let your child add beans, pasta or rice into the paper roll.
- Glue the cap on the other end. Wait for your maraca to dry.
- Give your maraca shake! How does it sound?
What's more fun than one maraca? Two maracas! Three maracas! Help your child make a maraca collection or create toilet paper roll maracas for each member of the family. Who knows? Maybe she can start her own band!