The cup-and-ball is a traditional children's toy that typically consists of a wooden ball attached to a cup with a length of string. In this activity, you'll create your own inexpensive cup-and-ball toy out of recycled materials from around the house! Your child will delight in trying to swing the ball into the cup, and will improve her fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination in the process. Although the cup-and-ball is a simple toy, there are countless games you can play with it. Try the ones listed at the end of this activity, or encourage your child to invent her own.
What You Need:
- Small plastic water bottle
- Thin string (preferably made of nylon)
- Small golf ball-size plastic whiffle ball with holes
- Duct tape
- Scissors or small utility knife
- Thin foam sheets with adhesive on one side (optional, available at craft stores)