On New Year's Eve, German children eat marzipan animals and play this wax fortune telling game. Inspire your child to explore a unique cultural practice, and determine her future at the same time! She will drop wax into a bowl of water, and interpret the shapes to find out her secret fortune for the coming year!
What You Need:
- Small bowl of cold water
- 6-8" dark-colored taper candle
- Matches or a lighter
What You Do:
- Encourage your child to fill the bowl with cold water.
- Help your child by lighting the candle.
- Ask your child to hold the candle carefully over the bowl, and drip the wax onto the water.
- What shape does the wax make? Some interpretations are:
- Airplane or boat = travel
- Animal shape = you might get a new pet
- Ring = there may be a wedding
- Ball = a victory in your favorite sport!
- Fish = swimming lessons or summer camp