Difficulty of Project
Less than $5.00
Easily purchased at the grocery store
Approximate Time Required to Complete the Project
30 minutes to collect the data; one day to prepare the science fair display
To investigate the amount of aluminum used in different soda cans
- 5 different 12-ounce aluminum soda cans
- Scale that measures ounces
Manufacturers of soda have continued to experiment with different packaging if these popular drinks. They have changed the packaging in an attempt to reduce costs and to help the environment. Aluminum cans are the most recycled and most recyclable type of container. About 95% of an aluminum can can be reused to make new cans. People recycle over 1,600 million pounds of aluminum cans.
In this experiment, the weight of the cans will be compared.
recycled: to use again
aluminum: a metal element found in the earth
The amount of aluminum used to make soda cans differs between brands.
- Is there a difference in the amount of aluminum used to make soda cans?
- How does the amount of aluminum used to make soda cans affect the environment?
- How does recycling aluminum cans help the environment?
- Gather the necessary materials.
- Empty and rinse the soda cans. Allow the cans to dry. Be sure that the cans are completely empty and dry inside.
- Weigh each can on the scale and record the results.
- Compare the weights of the cans.
“Aluminum Can” at http://earth911.com/metal/aluminum-can
“What is Aluminum?” at http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-aluminum.htm
The Aluminum Association at www.aluminum.org
Can Manufacturers Institute at www.cancentral.com