What You Need:
- Patterns printed from the templates
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Markers and/or crayons
- Cut out the pattern pieces from the print outs.
What You Do:
- Help your child trace each pattern piece on appropriately colored paper. Tracing the body and scarf onto a dark or bright color will make them look more like the actual wooden dolls.
- Once all of the pieces have been traced, let your child cut them out. As she cuts, tells her about the wooden dolls. The smallest doll in the set fits inside the medium doll. The medium doll fits inside the large doll.
- When she is done cutting, sort pieces into small, medium and large.
- Have your child glue the hair onto the face. Next glue the face to the scarf and then the scarf over the top of the body.
- Now your child can use markers or crayons to add eyes and a mouth. She can also decorate the dolls. Traditional matryoshka are often decorated with flowers painted in a variety of bright colors.
Traditional matryoshka dolls are often painted to look like young women. You can also find animal dolls, Star Wars figures and more. Let your child’s imagination run wild!