What You Need:
- Coffee mug
- Recycled cardboard (like an old cereal box)
- Construction paper
- Fabric or felt in assorted colors
- Hot glue gun
- Paint (optional)
- Buttons (optional)
What You Do:
- Have your child measure the height of the mug, and then cut a long strip of the cardboard, with the same height.
- Wrap the cardboard around the mug, leaving a gap for the handle. If he wants, your child can cut a tab in the paper to fit around the handle.
- Have your child remove the cardboard ring and lay it on a sheet of construction paper. Trace it on the construction paper, and then cut it out and glue it to the top of the cardboard for a colorful cozy. He could also use paint to decorate it.
- Now it's time to think about his favorite winter wardrobe! He can draw a sweater design onto felt or fabric, and cut the shape out. Make sure it's small enough to fit onto the mug!
- Cut out and glue details to the sweater, like colors, cuffs and buttons.
- Carefully glue the sweater onto the cardboard, and let it dry completely.
- For an extra touch of winter, cut out snowflake shapes and glue these around the cozy.
- The last step is to roll the cardboard into a ring, and glue the ends together.
Now your coffee mug is ready to take on winter, wrapped in its sweater cozy!