What You Need:
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Coffee filter
- Scotch tape
- Empty glass jar and lid
- Paper lunch bag
- 1 cup corn starch
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 2 ½ tablespoons lavender flowers
- 2 tablespoons rose petals
- 1 ½ teaspoons cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
What You Do:
- Have your child measure and mix the cornstarch and baking soda in a bowl.
- Then have her measure the lavender and rose petals into a separate bowl.
- Smash the flower petals into small pieces, until it’s almost a paste. A mortar and pestle also works, if you have them.
- Let your child pour the flower mixture into the bowl of corn starch mixture and stir everything together.
- Next, she’ll make an aroma packet. Have her measure cloves, cinnamon, and citrus peel into a coffee filter. Help her fold the coffee filter around the spices and tape the packet closed with scotch tape.
- Have your child place the aroma packet in the bottom of the glass jar. Next, spoon the powder mixture into the jar, over the aroma packet.
- Let the jar needs to sit inside a paper bag for two weeks to help the scents mix.
- In two weeks, you can remove the coffee filter and decorate the jar with stickers and ribbons.
This activity also makes a great Mother’s Day gift!