What You Need:
- 1 pound parsnips, roughly cut into 2” pieces (look for parsnips that are uniform and firm, without deep ridges, blemishes, or withered roots)
- 2 pounds potatoes, roughly cut into 2” pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped (optional)
What You Do:
- Put the parsnips and potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Set the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil the parsnips and potatoes for about 15-20 minutes or until they are very tender. Test the tenderness by sticking a fork in a chunk of potato and parsnip. If the fork slides in easily, they're done.
- While the potatoes and parsnips cook, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the cream, milk, and chicken stock.
- When the potatoes are done, drain well and return the vegetables to the pot.
- Slowly pour the warm cream mixture over the potatoes and parsnips, then add the garlic powder.
- Mash the potatoes well with a potato masher. If you have one, use a food mill or strainer, which will produce a creamier, smoother consistency. You can even use a food processor if you prefer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped chives if desired.
Enjoy while it’s hot! Serve alongside Quinoa Meatloaf for a healthy, balanced dinner.
**This recipe is gluten free, peanut free, tree nut free, and can be vegetarian.