What You Need:
- A blender
- Popsicle molds
- 1-2 handfuls of leafy greens—kale or baby spinach works best
- 1-2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 cup of plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1-2 cups of your child’s favorite fruits: pineapple, mango, berries—anything goes!
- 1 cup of coconut water or freshly-squeezed orange juice
- Optional: honey
What You Do:
- Blend your greens with the coconut water or freshly-squeezed orange juice.
- Add in the yogurt and fruits; a little more coconut water or orange juice can be used to thin it out if the mixture is too thick. Blend until smooth.
- Taste—add honey if needed for a little extra sweetness.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds and freeze several hours.
- Remove from mold, running a little warm water on the mold if the popsicle sticks. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
This recipe is easily adapted to suit young taste buds by altering the amount or kind of fruit used. Remember that kale has a slightly stronger taste than baby spinach, so if your kids have never tried a green popsicle you may want to begin with spinach as your base. Also, replacing regular yogurt with Greek yogurt can add a protein kick and reduce sugar. Delight in your summertime snacking—and in sharing a healthy treat with your kids.