What You Need:
- 1-pound pecans
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup plain sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Sheet tray
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
What You Do:
- Start by helping your child preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and cover a sheet tray with a piece of parchment paper.
- Now invite your child to separate the egg. Separating an egg is a true talent – so encourage your child to take her time! Once she’s separated the egg make sure to wash hands!
- Have your child place the egg white in the mixing bowl and froth lightly with a fork.
- Now she can add the pecans and stir with a spatula until they are all evenly coated with the egg white, which encourages her fine motor skills!
- It’s time to get sugared! Offer your child some measuring cups and invite her to measure the sugars into the bowl. She can also measure and add the salt and cinnamon.
- After your child has stirred together the ingredients and coated the pecans with the sugar mixture, she can evenly spread them on the sheet pan.
- Now she can place her sugared pecans in the oven and let bake for an hour!
- Her finished sweet treats can be enjoyed as is or sprinkled over ice cream or yogurt for a truly special treat.
Did you know: Pecan trees, a type of hickory tree, can grow and produce edible nuts for over three hundred years?