Are your kids fussy eaters? Research shows that kids who are involved in the cooking process are more likely to eat their food. Get your kids to give you a hand in the kitchen—literally!—by making fun grilled cheese sandwiches decorated with their handprints.
What You Need:
- 2 large slices of soft bread (make sure they're big enough to fit your child's handprint)
- 1 slice of cheese or other sandwich filling
- 1 slice of tomato
- Butter or canola oil spray
What You Do:
- Have your child wash his hands.
- Preheat the broiler in your oven or toaster oven.
- Toast one slice of bread in the toaster.
- Invite him to press his hand into the middle of the other slice of bread to make a deep handprint.
- Now assemble the sandwich. Help him place the cheese and tomato on the toasted slice of bread and place the handprint slice on top, handprint side up.
- Put the sandwich on a baking sheet and spread the top lightly with butter (making sure not to disturb the handprint) or spray with canola oil.
- Place the sandwich in the oven or toaster oven and broil until lightly browned on top. The handprint should stay lighter than the surrounding bread.
- Remove the "handwich" from the oven and let it cool slightly, then let your hungry child dig in!