Are your kids fussy eaters? Research shows that kids who are involved in the cooking process are more likely to eat their food. Get your kids to give you a hand in the kitchen—literally!—by making fun grilled cheese sandwiches decorated with their handprints.
What You Need:
- 2 large slices of soft bread (make sure they're big enough to fit your child's handprint)
- 1 slice of cheese or other sandwich filling
- 1 slice of tomato
- Butter or canola oil spray
What You Do:
- Have your child wash his hands.
- Preheat the broiler in your oven or toaster oven.
- Toast one slice of bread in the toaster.
- Invite him to press his hand into the middle of the other slice of bread to make a deep handprint.
- Now assemble the sandwich. Help him place the cheese and tomato on the toasted slice of bread and place the handprint slice on top, handprint side up.
- Put the sandwich on a baking sheet and spread the top lightly with butter (making sure not to disturb the handprint) or spray with canola oil.
- Place the sandwich in the oven or toaster oven and broil until lightly browned on top. The handprint should stay lighter than the surrounding bread.
- Remove the "handwich" from the oven and let it cool slightly, then let your hungry child dig in!
Shaheen Bilgrami has been writing and editing children's books for over twelve years. Her books have been published all over the world.