Halloween Decorations: Make Ghouly Hands!
Want to make Halloween truly eerie? Science to the rescue! These ghostly, ghouly hands come alive with just a little help from some simple chemistry. All you need is vinegar, baking soda, glass jars, and rubber gloves. The chemical reaction between the acid and the base turns limp gloves into a spooky demonstration of science in action...expanding the gloves so they come to life! A truly spook-tacular way to invite your Halloween guests to the table!
What You Need:
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Rubber gloves (medical gloves work well)
- Glass jars with wide mouths (such as canning jars)
What You Do:
- Pour 3 tablespoons of vinegar into each canning jar.
- Take out one glove for each jar. Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda to the inside of each of the gloves and then carefully shake each glove, so the powder goes into the fingertip sections.
- Slide one glove over the lip of each glass, holding it sideways so the powder doesn't fall into the jar. Pull it tight around the lip to make sure it's a snug fit.
- It's showtime! When everyone has a good view, grab each glove by its fingertips and pull it upright, so the baking powder falls into the jar. You might have to shake the gloves gently to help.
Now watch as the gloves grow from limp to live!