Cooking is both an art and a science. This project introduces your child to the basics of cheese making and uses just a few simple ingredients. Separating the liquid (whey) from the yogurt results in a soft, spreadable cheese, similar to cream cheese but slightly more tart. Spread it on sandwiches, bagel, crackers or bread. He can also get creative and add flavorings such as herbs, fruit, or honey to turn it into a tangy dip or a creamy dessert. Yum!
What You Do:
- Line a colander with paper coffee filters or cheesecloth.
- Pour the yogurt into the colander and place a bowl underneath to catch the liquid.
- Leave it to drain overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove the colander and bowl from the refrigerator and discard the liquid.
- Add a small amount of salt to taste and herbs, if desired.
Did you know? Someone who loves cheese is called a turophile.
Want another great snack idea using this spread? Look here.