As potatoes are a staple of the Irish diet, what better way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day than with a few riotous rounds of Hot Potato? In lieu of a beanbag, use a real potato instead! This game is especially great for little kids, helping to build fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
What You Do:
- Have everyone sit in a circle facing each other and choose one person to be the caller.
- Have the caller stand in the center of the circle and hand the potato to one of the seated players.
- Ask the caller to close her eyes, then have the other players pass the potato around the circle as quickly as they can.
- When the caller yells "Hot!" everyone stops. Whoever is holding the potato is out and leaves the circle. Have the other players close the gap in the circle and start again.
- Continue playing until just one person is left. The last person left wins and gets to be the caller for the next round.
You can also play this game set to music, like Musical Chairs. Players stand and pass the potato around the circle as the music plays. When the leader stops the music, the person holding the potato is out.