If using regular watercolors is getting a little dry, here's a fun technique to liven things up: use salt to create a beautiful painting with unique crystal texture! All you need are crayons, table salt, and water to get started. When finished, your child will have a great picture perfect for decorating bare walls.
Note: This project works best with Epsom salt, but table salt or rock salt can be used instead.
What You Need:
- Construction paper
- 4 tablespoons Epsom salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) hot water
- Small cups or bowls
- Covered table
What You Do:
- Mix one-quarter cup hot water with four tablespoons of Epsom salt. Stir the mixture to dissolve.
- Have your child draw freely with the crayons on the construction paper.
- Let her brush the drawing with the salt mixture. Stir the salt water each time a brush is dipped into the container to keep the brush full of very salty water.
- Give the painting time to dry completely.
Now brush the salt crystals off the paper, and hang it up!