Learn How to Make Bread from Yeast Dough Activity
Try making bread with your preschooler to teach her about the fascinating world of yeast and bread baking! She'll have fun watching the yeast come alive while learning about the science behind making bread. This activity will also help her develop her fine motor skills as she helps knead the dough and introduce her to the joys of home cooking as she munches on warm bread straight from the oven.
What You Need:
- 4 cups flour, (white, or whole wheat)
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet yeast
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Greased cookie sheet
- Pastry brush
- 1 Egg, whisked
- Large mixing bowl
- Clean kitchen towel
What You Do:
- Have your child measure 1 1/2 cups of warm water and pour it into a bowl.
- Have her sprinkle yeast into the warm water. Stir it until it softens.
- Now, have her measure and add in the flour, sugar and salt.
- Help her mix the ingredients until they form a dough ball.
- On a floured surface, encourage her to knead the dough until it's smooth and elastic.
- Ask her to make shapes with the dough. Include animals, letters and shapes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Have her place her dough shapes on the cookie sheet.
- Use a clean kitchen towel to cover the cookie sheet to allow the dough to rise until all the pieces are double their original size.
- Explain to her how yeast helps make the dough rise.
- Have her brush each dough sculpture with a beaten egg.
- Help her to carefully place the cookie sheet in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
- Cool, eat and enjoy!