6 & up
Careful when using matches.
All materials readily available.
Project Time Frame
This project explores marketable recycling techniques.
The goals of this project are:
- To invent a reusable candle
- To encourage further developments in eco-friendly products.
Materials and Equipment
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, wood, etc.)
All materials can be found in your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
Recycling is big business. These days, much funding is available for the development of new products and technologies that simplify the recycling of everyday objects. A candle is a solid block of fuel, usually made from wax, which normally comes from bees. Candles are used for heating, light, ambiance and aromatherapy. In this project you'll design and invent a reusable candle.
- What are some of the best inventions using recycled materials?
- What cool new inventions are waiting to be made?
Terms and Concepts to Start Background Research
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below and terms listed above)
- Address all of the above terms and research questions.
- Search and print out interesting images of recycled inventions.
- Also, take your own photographs throughout the course of the experiment.
- Set up a candle mold (small container), with the wick placed in the center of it.
- For this invention, you have to figure out a way to place a candle on a raised surface, with a candle mold below it. As the candle melts, it should drip into the mold, thus creating a new candle.
- Sketch your designs FIRST, then start playing around with your available supplies, until you've creating a working reusable candle.
- Carefully record all observations.
- Analyze your data. Explain why the candle won't last forever.
- Interpret your findings in a detailed report.
- Include interesting photos, diagrams and models in your science fair display.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling (Wiki topic: Recycling)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax (Wiki topic: Wax)
- http://www.candletech.com/ (Candlemaking techniques)
- http://www.crayola.com/lesson-plans/detail/recycle-inventions-lesson-plan/ (Recycled inventions)
- http://www.inventionreaction.com/ (More Inventions)
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.