What You Need:
- 18” x 9” foam board
- Tempera paint
- Nuts, bolts, screws, washers in a variety of small sizes
- Aluminum foil
- White glue
What You Do:
- Have your child paint the foam board red and allow it to dry. Paint a second coat if necessary.
- Draw the basic outline of the knight onto the dried, painted foam board. Make sure to include the knight’s helmet, face, sword, shield and pointed shoes.
- Now he can paint in the knight’s face by mixing a small amount of white and yellow ochre together to create a flesh color. Paint in his eyes and mouth too.
- Start assembling the nuts, bolts, screws and washers where you want them to go, filling in the pencil line of the knight. Round washers work well for jointed areas, such as shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles.
- Once they are arranged exactly how you want them, glue them in place, one piece at a time.
- Cut the aluminum foil into strips and then into squares. Fit it inside the lines of the knight to complete his heroic outfit. Place a thin layer of glue where you want the aluminum foil to go. Gently press the foil down in place.
- Go back in with a colored paint to add details to the shield and sword.
Your knight is ready to defend! Hang him somewhere you can use protection or the outside of your door to keep intruders away!