What You Need:
- Small terra cotta pot
- Tempera or acrylic paint
- Small rocks
- Seeds, or a pre-grown plant
What You Do:
- Use a pencil to draw the face of your potted plant person. Include the eyebrows, eyeballs, nose, mouth and any other features you would like to add to give personality to your character. Make them as silly or fun as you can imagine. Make sure to not draw the hair, the spice plant will become the hair as it grows!
- Paint in the drawing with tempera or acrylic paint. Bright colors make for an interesting face that will look funnier as the plant grows. Outline the facial features in black paint to help them show up easier from a distance. Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Place a few small rocks at the bottom of the pot to help with drainage.
- Fill the pot with soil.
- Poke your finger in the soil a few times and drop seeds into the holes, about ¼” down. Cover the soil on the top and gently water the plant. Place it in a sunny window to watch the seeds sprout.
Alternatively, keep the rocks in the bottom of the pot and plant an already-grown herb plant. Water and keep in a sunny window. Clip “hair” as needed to make cooking even yummier!