Water Bottle Holder Craft
How do you get your child to put down the sugar-filled soda and juice and pick up a tall glass of water instead? Inspire her to design her very own water bottle cozy! Not only does it make a cool reusable carrying case for a water bottle, but it also helps her think about healthy changes she could make in her life.
What You Need:
- Plastic water bottle
- Scratch paper and pencil
- Measuring tape
- Foam sheets in various colors
- Hole punch
- Rubber band
- Plastic craft lace
What You Do:
- Start by having your child measure the height and circumference of the water bottle and write the measurements down on paper.
- Have her draw a rectangle on one of the foam sheets. Make the length of the rectangle one inch longer than the circumference of the water bottle, and make the width of the rectangle one half the height of the bottle. For example, it your bottle is 8 inches tall and 5 inches around, your rectangle should be 4 inches wide and 6 inches long.
- Cut out the rectangle.
- Now it’s time to get creative! Invite her to cut out shapes from the other foam sheets that she can use to decorate her cozy. Encourage her to create objects that represent healthy eating and healthy habits, such as water drops, an apple, a carrot, or a leaf.
- Help her glue the shapes to the foam rectangle and let dry.
- Wrap the foam rectangle around the water bottle to create the base of the cozy. Use a rubber band to hold it in place for the time being.
- Help your child punch three holes along both ends of the cozy where the edges meet. Make sure the holes on both ends line up.
- Cut three 5" lengths of plastic craft lace. Use the laces to tie the cozy together. String the first lace through the top hole on each end of the rectangle and tie a knot. Repeat with the other two laces.
- Once your cozy is laced, remove the rubber bands and trim the ends of the plastic laces.
You’re finished! Slip your cozy onto your water bottle and use it as a healthy reminder to drink more water throughout the day.