Make a Mosaic Yarn Snowflake
Enjoy the winter season with your preschooler by creating mosaic snowflake art using yarn and colorful construction paper shapes. Heavy on cutting and gluing, this project helps strengthen little kids' hand muscles for better control and fine motor skills.
What You Need:
- Construction paper in a variety of colors
- Clear-drying, non-toxic glue
- Safety scissors
- Thick paint brush
- Disposable cup
What You Do:
- Have your child draw an outline of a snowflake in marker on the construction paper. As she works, talk about snowflakes together. What do snowflakes look like? Are they all the same, or is each one unique?
- After she finishes the outline of the snowflake, ask her to draw shapes or patterns inside the snowflake outline with glue. Cut lengths of yarn and press them into the glue to create a mosaic effect.
- Help her cut out pieces of construction paper in different shapes, sizes, and colors.
- Mix a small amount of glue with a small amount of water in the disposable cup. Have your child carefully paint the area around the snowflake with the glue mixture section by section.
- Now have her carefully place the construction paper shapes around the snowflake in a mosaic pattern.
- Set aside the picture to dry.