Deck the halls and decorate the tree with DIY style this year with this paper mitten craft! It looks great hanging from a tree, fireplace or gift bag, and can be personalized with your child's name for a special touch. So crank some Christmas tunes, dig into the craft box and do this fun winter activity before Santa comes. Children will love getting involved in holiday decorating by making this mitten craft.
What You Need:
- Construction paper
- Tissue paper in multiple colors
- Glitter paint
- Hole punch
What You Do:
- Show your child how to trace or sketch the shape of a mitten on construction paper. She can even place her palm on the paper and trace around it, connecting the tips of the fingers into one smooth line.
- Your child can cut out this mitten shape.
- Now draw a fluffy cuff onto a different color of paper and cut it out.
- Glue this coff to the bottom of the mitten shape, for a place to write a name.
- Show your child how to cut up the tissue paper into one inch squares. You can do this quickly by cutting several layers of paper at once.
- Have your child crumple up the tissue paper squares.
- Help her squeeze a line of glue around the outer edge of the mitten.
- Press the crumpled squares of tissue paper into the line of glue, creating a fuzzy border along the mitten. Allow the paper to dry.
- Use glitter paint to decorate the cuff and to write your child's name. Let the cuff dry completely.
- Punch out a hole at the top of the mitten, and string a piece of ribbon through the hole. Tie off the ends for a loop.
This ornament will bring cheer no matter where you hang it!