Make Shitake Mushroom Matzoh Balls
Is your kid tired of the same old matzoh balls? Doctor up that package of plain matzoh mix with some delightful twists: shiitake mushrooms and scallions. He'll love diving into some kitchen basics, and forming these balls of sticky dough gives him some sensory stimulation, too. Don't be surprised if you have to double, or even triple, this recipe. These Asian-inspired matzoh balls will have your whole family begging for more!
Makes 24 to 30 golf ball-size balls.
What You Need:
- 1/4 cup melted chicken fat or vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, white and half the green part, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, finely chopped (1 to 11/2 cups)
- 1 envelope matzoh ball mix, such as Manischewitz
- 1/2 cup matzoh meal
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons club soda, chicken broth, or water
Notes: For Passover, use kosher-for-Passover baking powder, or if unavailable, it may be omitted.