Make a Shamrock Candle Holder
Looking for a fun and simple activity to do with your child this March? Create a beautiful "stained glass" candle holder using just a handful of inexpensive craft materials. Light up the house for St. Patrick's Day with this charming piece of art!
What You Need:
- Baby food jar or other small glass jar (glass yogurt jars work well)
- Shamrock template
- Card stock
- Tea light candle
- Tissue paper in green and white
- White glue
What You Do:
- Wash and remove the labels from the baby food or other glass jar.
- Have your child print out the shamrock template onto the card stock and cut it out.
- Ask him to trace the shamrock onto a sheet of green tissue paper.
- Cut the white tissue paper into 1 inch wide strips long enough to fit around the jar.
- Have him dab a small amount of glue onto the jar and spread it around with his fingers.
- Place strips of white tissue paper on the jar over the glue. Continue gluing strips of tissue paper to the jar like this until the jar is completely covered. Don't worry if the strips overlap a little.
- Let the glue dry completely.
- Have your child spread a little glue on the middle of the jar. Place the green tissue paper shamrock over the glue and press. Add a little more glue under the edges if necessary.
- Let the glue dry again.
- Now all your candle holder needs is a candle! Place the tea light candle inside, light it, and watch your beautiful "stained glass" candle holder light up.