Does your child love nature? Help her make her own bird puppet out of a few simple materials. Talking birds are birds that can mimic human speech. Create your own talking bird that has a beak that can open and close!
What You Need:
- 2 pieces of different colored construction paper
- Wiggle eyes
- Glue stick
What You Do:
- Have your child pick a color of construction paper that she would like her bird to be. Fold the piece of construction paper in half like a greeting card.
- Using a marker, place a dot on the center of the fold.
- Have your child cut a straight line about 2 inches deep where she made the dot.
- Slightly open the card, but not all the way.
- Use your finger to push on the dot in the back of the card. Pull the top and bottom flaps where the cut was made into the center of the card.
- Fold the card in half again to make creases on the top and bottom flaps. This will be the top and bottom of your bird beak.
- Fold your other piece of construction paper like a greeting card.
- Glue this piece of construction paper over the first so that the center folds join.
- Open the 2 pieces of construction paper and lay them flat. You should have a beak shape in the center of your card.
- Have your child glue feathers and googly eyes around the beak of her talking bird. She can decorate the bird however she likes.
- Now as you gently open and close the card, the beak should open and close as well! Give your bird a voice and let your imagiation soar!
Did You Know?
Some talking birds of Amazonia have been observed to have a vocabulary of almost two thousand words!