If you're looking for a wholesome snack for your young child, here's an idea for you: create Smiley Snacks! It's a perfectly easy refreshment that's good for any lunchbox, as an after-school bite to eat, or as hors d'oeuvres for a party or special occasion. All you need are some apples, peanut butter, and some fake "teeth", and you'll have a treat that will bring a smile to any child's face.
Serves: 2 to 5
Cook Time: 15 minutes
What You Need:
- 1 to 5 red apples
- Peanut butter
- Choice of food items for “teeth,” such as miniature marshmallows, berries, raisins
- Utensils knife and cutting board
- Spreading knife
What You Do:
- Cut the apple into quarters with a knife.
- Cut each quarter in half again to make two thin slices for each “smile.”
- Spread peanut butter on one side of each thin smiley-slice to act as an adhesive glue.
- Choose the foods that will be the "teeth" of the smile. Arrange the "teeth" foods—marshmallows, berries, raisins, other foods or any combination of them—on the peanut butter.
- Assemble the second apple slice with the peanut butter slice facing down on top of the first slice and the “teeth.” This will form a mouth with teeth inside.
- Put the smiley faces on a cheerful plate and serve!
For added laughs, read funny books or tell funny jokes while eating.